Monday, 18 March 2013

Using push technology - is that really useful?

As everything, push technology can have both advantages and drawbacks.

I haven't thought about push technology being useful, but actually, it helped me pick up Martin's comments on my blog - whenever he posted something, I got a notification. It was useful in terms of being up-to-date with my coursework and prompting me that I should do something.

The downside is that one gets endless emails that clog the Inbox which can be irritating - especially in Gspace which links all emails together in one long email.

In terms of classroom usefulness, I think YouTube subscriptions can work well: students are given a playlist and whenever a new clip is added to it, they get an email update. This saves teacher's time and also, you don't have to remember to send email reminders yourself. I'm definitely going to use that aspect of of RSS feeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment